The Driving Machine: Audi, BMW, MINI and Mercedes Repair Shop
The Driving Machine is an independent luxury German car repair shop located in the city of Cupertino in the Silicon Valley. We have specialized in BMW repair, service, and performance for over 34 years. In recent years, we added Audi, MINI and Mercedes to our car lineup.
Our technicians are ASE nationally certified and receive ongoing car-specific training. The combined knowledge of German car repair is over 150 years! More than half our employees have been with the shop for 12 to 14 years.
What sets us apart is that we never lose sight of the fact that when we care for your car, we are caring for you. Plus, we only use factory parts or high quality parts that meet or exceed the car’s specifications. When you bring your Audi, BMW, MINI, or Mercedes to The Driving Machine, you can rest assured that—like your car—you’re getting top performance from a top-notch repair shop.
Whether you’re looking for scheduled maintenance, repairs, or a sophisticated custom installation, The Driving Machine is equipped to handle all your car needs.
We invite you to give us a chance to earn your business here at The Driving Machine. If you do, we’re confident that you’ll bring your Driving Machine back to us again for a lot of TLC!
Our German Car Repair Shop Team Qualifications
- Exclusively BMW for over 34 years
- ASE Master-certified technicians
- AAA-Rated 100% customer satisfaction
- 25K Mile Limited Warranty
- Free BMW courtesy car available
- Industry and community service awards and recognitions
- Bay Area Green Business designation
Our Shop’s History
Jim Payne, Master Technician (re-certified 5 times), leads the professional team at The Driving Machine repair shop. Starting in 1976, Jim worked on BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Rolls Royce cars for Bill Harrah in Reno, Nevada. After moving to the South Bay and working at local BMW dealerships, Jim opened his own shop specializing in what he knew best—BMW repair.
Jim’s main purpose was to help BMW owners enjoy the best driving experience possible through proper maintenance, repair and refurbishing. It was important to Jim to provide service that was superior to other repair shops. He and his team have maintained this philosophy of integrity and superior service for over 34 years. (Watch KMTV interview on Reference Point where Jim Payne shares his expertise with viewers.)
Our Shop is Committed to Community Service
- 2011 Talk of the Town Award for Excellence in Customer Satisfaction. The Driving Machine voted among best BMW repair shop in region (San Jose, CA).
- Bay Area Green Business Designation
- Palo Alto Concours d’Elegance
- Cupertino Library Foundation
- Cupertino Art & Wine Fest
- De Anza College Automotive Department
- De Anza College Auto Cross
- Optimist Club, Los Gatos Chapter
- St. Joseph of Cupertino School, Science Department
- Montalvo Center for the Arts
Jim Payne Gets Involved
- Current Vice President of the Automotive Service Council of California, Chapter 42, and has served as board member for the past 5 years.
- Chosen volunteer for the NATF (National Automotive Training Foundation). He represents independent automotive expertise in evaluation of the Automotive Program at De Anza College to maintain their accreditation.
- Serves on the committee for the De Anza Automotive Scholarship Awards.
- He has been chosen one of the 100 Outstanding Graduates of his Alma Mater, Ranken College, St. Louis, Missouri.
The Driving Machine is located in Cupertino, CA.
Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8am – 5pm PST. 24 hour drop-off and pick-up available.
The Driving Machine, Inc.
P.O. Box 695
Cupertino, CA 95015
The Driving Machine, Inc. is not associated in any way with BMW, BMW AG, BMW NA or BMW USA.