Everyday is “Earth Day” at The Driving Machine, a designated SCC Bay Area Green Business
Sow some seeds and grow a tree.
- Plant some drought resistant plants in your yard.
- Put out some ladybugs in your garden and pull some weeds, rather than using an insecticide or herbacide.
- Make a decision to eat local and eschew veggies and fruits that have traveled for thousands of miles from another continent.
- Compost those veggie and fruit peels.
- Always consolidate your errands so that you don’t have to be driving extra miles – better yet – walk or ride a bike to errands when possible.
Quick Green Tip:
Check your home and business for leaks. In the U.S. over 1 trillion gallons of water is wasted by dripping and leaking faucets and plumbing every year! Conservation is so very important as we go through this drought in California and other Western States. That is the equivalent of all of the water used in Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles for one year.
Did you know that The Driving Machine, Inc is the ONLY auto repair in Cupertino that is a Santa Clara County Bay Area Green Business?
For us, it a very special designation that we have earned. Part of our impetus of becoming part of that program is that we believe in conserving our natural resources. It seems to be part of the small business mindset, that one should recycle, don’t waste energy, don’t waste water or resources. Use exactly what you need, and recycle all hazardous waste, such as used oil in the proper method. We don’t use styrofoam peanuts for shipping parts, and we use as little of plastic “stuff” as possible.
We encourage all local businesses to work towards this designation. It is a great program that the City of Cupertino has embraced and expanded.
It is estimated that oil spill runoff into lakes, rivers, and surface waters account for about 30% of all oil pollution found in our oceans. Look at some empty parking spaces in any parking lot, in any city in the U.S. and you will see evidence of leaking oil. It is everywhere, isn’t it? Now, personally, I don’t think that oil is a bad thing – as long as it is in your engine where it belongs.
We think that every day should be “Earth Day”. Have a little consideration for Mother Earth. Get those leaks fixed and help the environment at the same time.